Kindergarten

As our district moves to all day Kindergarten, we have some challenges to conquer.  What furniture do we need, what manipulatives, what books will I need to teach with?  Will they need a nap? Will they need snacks?  Do I teach in whole group and small group?  In general - what is best practice for my Kindergarten students?

While we are still in the developmental phase, I will add some resources that I come across - that I'm sure I will be referring back to once we are underway!

Role of the Kindergarten teacher

Math Videos Kids Math TV
What does my Kindergartner need to know?  Here is a list of videos that are parent friendly!

With all the changes that have occurred in education in the past many years, calendar seems to remain a constant in the kindergarten classroom and has even moved into the 1st through 5th grade classrooms in our district.  With our transition into all day kindergarten coming up next year, I want to make sure that our teachers are equipped with the right resources to address their students' needs.  So that got me wondering about calendar - should it look different from what it has "always" been?  I think it should.  From my observations, their is a routine of using sticks to count the number of days the kids have been in school, find the next day to add to the calendar, recite the month/day/year, discuss what the weather is like that day and name the pattern that appears on the calendar.   There might be a few additional items in some classrooms, but something else that I have observed is the same is the approach.  Students are receiving information.  How can we increase participation in addition to having a student leader?










Research: